Town Gate, Highburton
Moor Lane, Highburton
Burton Village Hall, Highburton
Highburton is a village 3 miles south east of Huddersfield (4.1 miles by road).
It is situated in an elevated position above
and following its vast expansion of housing in the late 20th century now provides most of the residential area of the 'twin' Burton villages.
is now the commercial centre, Highburton is likely to have had a more prominent role in village commerce going back in history. The village has a cross at the junction of Hall Lane and Town Gate which is a scheduled ancient monument. Its steps date from the 14th century while its shaft and ball probably represent a later restoration.
Highburton also used to have its own single-store Co-operative Society in Towngate, founded in 1856. The Co-op closed in 2009, but the shop continues as a local convenience store.
Highburton has a convenience store in Towngate.
Burton Village Hall provides a community hall and is also home to Kirkburton Parish Council.
The Smith's Arms is in Towngate. The White Swan is in Penistone Road at the junction of Far Dene. Both pubs offer food.
Highburton CE (VC) First School is in Northfield Lane, Highburton.
Highburton CE (VC) First School
Highburton is in the Kirkburton ward of the metropolitan district of Kirklees.
Highburton is in the Kirkburton ward of the civil parish run by Kirkburton Parish Council, which is based at Burton Village Hall in Highburton.
Kirkburton Parish Council
Denby Darts D1
Turnshaw Road, George Street
Village centre and station
Timetables and information at
Highburton is reached via Far Dene, a minor road leading from the
Penistone Road from traffic lights at Dogley Bar (next to The White Swan) at the edge of the village.
Also in Huddersfield.guide
Places to go
Other places near Highburton:
Huddersfield.guide - a