Stocksmoor is a rural village 4 miles south south east of Huddersfield town centre (6 miles by road).
Although the railway arrived in Stocksmoor in 1850, when it became a stop on the new Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway line between Huddersfield and Penistone, Stocksmoor continued to be a small community of farms, sandstone quarries and the Clothiers' Arms Inn until well into the 20th century. It was only towards the end of the 1900s that dozens of new houses were added to the area to create the village that exists today.
The Clothiers' Arms is in Station Road.
Stocksmoor Village Hall is in Station Road. The hall is used by local groups including the Women's Institute, Bridge Club, Whist Group and Yoga Group and is available for hire. Booking details can be found at the Stocksmoor Village Association website.
Stocksmoor Village Association
Stocksmoor is in the Kirkburton ward of the metropolitan district of Kirklees.
Stocksmoor is in the Thurstonland and Farnley Tyas ward of the civil parish run by Kirkburton Parish Council, which is based at Burton Village Hall in Highburton.
Kirkburton Parish Council
Stocksmoor has a station on the
in Station Road.
Huddersfield > Stocksmoor - 16 minutes. Sheffield > Stocksmoor - 55 minutes.
Northern - Stocksmoor
Station and departure information at Northern website.
at Ashes Lane
A service running only between Almondbury and Huddersfield via Somerset Road operates as 342.
Stocksmoor has HD4 6** postcode addresses for which Huddersfield is the postal town. Unless you place total dependance on a full correct postcode, a line with the Stocksmoor village name on is still an essential part of the address as there are duplicate street names within the postal area, eg. there is also a Cross Lane at Primrose Hill, a 5.2-mile drive away at the other side of Castle Hill, which also has a HD4 6** postcode.
Also in Huddersfield.guide
Places to go
Other places near Stocksmoor:
Huddersfield.guide - a